Anne’s Quiz #34
1. What significant ice-related event took place in March 2002?
a) Part of the Antarctic Ice Shelf collapsed.
b) A freezing rain/ice storm hit Washington, DC, crippling the government momentarily.
c) An iceberg hit an oil rig in the North Sea.
d) An avalanche killed 23 skiers in the Alps.
2. How much land area did glaciers cover during the last Ice Age?
3. How much would sea level rise above current levels if all land ice melted?
a) 2 meters
b) 10 meters
c) 50 meters
d) 70 meters
4. How much of an floating iceberg is below the water line?
5. How many sides does a snowflake have?
d) it varies
6. Why does water expand when it freezes?
a) Ice is actually warmer than cold water.
b) The water molecules attract extra oxygen atoms to bulk out their molecules.
c) The molecules align themselves in a lattice that is not as densely packed as amorphous water.
d) It doesn't.
7. In what city did they have a Frost Fair on the Thames River in the winter of 1813-1814?
8. On which of these heavenly bodies has ice been detected?
a) The Moon
d) all of the above
9. At what temperature does water freeze into ice?
a) 0° C
b) 32° C
c) 100° C
d) 212° C
10. What kind of machine smooths the ice for figure skaters and hockey players?
c) John Deere
quiz 34 created 4-1-02